Monday, November 21, 2011

Can I use human shampoo on my dog?

I know that in normal cases you're not supposed to. However, Silky Terrier fur is a lot like human hair in that it doesn't shed but instead breaks and splits. I've read that you can use human shampoo and conditioner on silky terriers. However, my dog is a silky terrier chihuahua mix. He mostly resembles a silky terrier, but I'm not sure if it's ok to use human shampoo on him.Can I use human shampoo on my dog?
No, it isn't. Please do not listen to the non-professionals. Dogs only have dog hair %26amp; it is not the same as human hair. Human ph is between 5.2 - 6.2 %26amp; dogs ph runs between 6.2 - 8.62 not to mention there are additives in human shampoo that is harmful to pets %26amp; their coat/skin. Almost no dogs need any conditioner pet or otherwise. The only ones that do are ones being treated for a particular skin issues. Your dog is having breakage due to static electricity %26amp; breakage for contact with carpets, furniture, grass etc. Breeders wrap the hair up so it doesn't get damaged from these things %26amp; brush %26amp; comb properly.Can I use human shampoo on my dog?
I have a scottie mix and we always use human shampoo it makes her softer and smell better. I don't believe when people say no don't. Just use it you can use it on any type of dog we've used it on poodles, labs, terriers, shepherds, tons of types and they are still alive, soft, and smell great.
My friend, a breeder of champion standard poodles got me on using store brand Pantene with conditioner included on my standard! Nothing works better! In reality, who would you think has a more sensitive scalp... a human with hair on our heads or dogs with hair or fur all over!


There was a time when people would readily fall for false advertising. Not so much anymore.
I know that human shampoo is not good for chihuahuas because their skin is very sensitive to things like that. There might be an exception to your dog though. I would contact a groomer.
I've always used human shampoo and never had a problem. Get a tearless one though so if it gets in their eyes in won't hurt.
Yah it doesn't hurt them it is the same on them as it is on you and just DON'T GET IT IN THEIR EYES.
I'm almost positive you shouldn't because it gets out the oils in their fur
yea but just rinse it out good till its not nomore soap
Ya i use it on my pomeranian evry time she has a bath

No comments:

Post a Comment