Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Can you use human shampoo for a pony?

I would like to wash a mares mane and tail, can i use human shampoo and canditioner to do it? it would save money if i could.


If i can which is the best to use for the best results?Can you use human shampoo for a pony?
Yes, I have used all types of shampoos and conditioners on my horses and ponies. I've had great luck with some of the the 'shine' products although they aren't inexpensive. One of my trainers swears on Ivory dish soap as it works great on oil, especially on dirty horses :-).





The dollar store ';Head n Shoulders'; brands work great as it helps with dry skin and possibly fungus.Can you use human shampoo for a pony?
I would ask your vet about the different types of human shampoo to use. I have used baby shampoo on my horses many times without a problem as they are normally hyper- allogenic, tear free and very gentle. If you look at the prices of human shampoo in comparison to equine specific shampoos you will find that equine shampoos/conditioners (ie, main and tail) are much more cost effective. Usually you find that the equine shampoos come in much larger quantities for the same price as human shampoos. I would definately ask your vet before using any human shampoos on your mare just in case she has an allergic reaction... etc.. Hope this helps :)
The cheap shampoos are fine to use but cheap conditioners don't even work in human hair. I use suave, i can pick it up at our local swap meet for dirt cheap and by the box. I use it on the dogs here also and they smell good.


Also a little FYI you can pass along...if you know someone who has had a fire in their home and you know how the smoke smell gets into clothes...I found out while i was a firefighter if i added a little bit of suave strawberry shampoo to the wash the smell came out. I used this on my turnout gear (the stuff we wore while fighting the fire) I was the prettiest smelling firefighter and i didn't smell like a BBQ.
Certainly. Remember you don't want to use too much soap. So just put a little on and use a lot of water. Otherwise its too hard to get the soap out and its important that you do. Still I swear by VET Oatmeal shampoo It costs about $14 dollars but it lasts forever and its soap free and gets rid of any itches. Its really good for their skin and makes them so shiny and smooth and you don't have to worry about leaving a soapy film. You use just a little bit and lots of water.
Yea any human shampoo is okay for horses. I use Pantene on my horse's mane and tail and Ivory on his body. The Pantene works really well and keeps my horse's mane and tail clean and soft. I love the Ivory because it's really cheap and makes his body really soft.
i have used my shampoo on my horses several times. i like to buy that white rain shampoo cause its cheap. the only thing you have to make sure is to use conditioner because the human shampoo tends to remove the oils from the horses hair and can cause their skin to be too dry!
i have used shampoo on horses many times before, and that was human shampoo. Just make sure you buy baby or sensitive skin shampoo, and remember don麓t get it in the horses eyes, nose ears or mouth.
yes you can but half the ammount you would normally use.





Say if you used a handfull of horse shampoo/conditioner only use half a hand full, get me. lol
Defiantly, I use my shampoo on my horse and my dog, just make sure it's for sensitive skin...to be on the safe side.
Yes you can, try and get them without silicone in them though. I like Lush stuff, smells good too.
I've always used it on my horses to no ill effect! I buy baby shampoo, or stuff for sensetive skin, just to be on the safe side.
i use head and shoulders cool menthol on my dandruffy horse, he loves it and he smells so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment